General Skin Treatment/Skin Protection Information
To help prevent skin damage and maintain skin health, a daily skin care regimen that includes a sun protectant, cleanser, moisturizer or hydrator, and eye cream is a must. It’s also important to incorporate additional specialty products that defend against the signs of aging.
There are two kinds of aging:
- Chronological aging – what happens naturally due to time and the genes we inherit
- Environmental aging – due to external factors like sun, pollutants, ozone, smoke, diet, and alcohol
- The sun is to blame for a significant amount of environmental aging
Incorporating daily protection is an absolute necessity; however, it’s important that women opt for more comprehensive coverage that goes beyond broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) protection to shield against Infrared radiation as well.
There are three kinds of rays from the sun:
- Visible Light
Infrared rays make up 54% of the solar spectrum. Infrared-A rays penetrate deeper into the skin than UVA and UVB rays. IR-A rays can cause signs of aging. They contribute to:
- Collagen breakdown
- Skin wrinkling
- Extracellular matrix changes
- Loss of skin elasticity and firmness
Infrared radiation has implications in accelerating the signs of skin aging and has a synergistic negative effect with ultraviolet rays.
How sun exposure affects skin over time:
- 20’s | Many of the skin changes we see over time – changes in pigmentation, sallowness and deep wrinkling are the results of sun exposure.
- 30’s | The signs of sun damage may typically begin to emerge on exposed areas of the skin, such as the face, neck, upper chest, hands, and forearms.
- 40’s | Skin discoloration can also affect people in this age group – a clear sign of “photoaging,” a term that describes the effects of chronic ultraviolet light exposure on the skin.
Exposure to free radicals in the environment, primarily from UV and Infrared rays, can play a pivotal role in the biological events that can lead to clinical manifestations of changes to the skin in this decade, like cell damage.
SkinMedica Total Defense + Repair Skin Protection
SkinMedica® is introducing a new era of skin protection with the launch of Total Defense + Repair – the first and only rejuvenating superscreen that prevents the appearance of premature aging through comprehensive skin protection while supporting skin’s ability to restore itself for total skin health.
- This revolutionary, multi-tasking formula goes beyond UVA and UVB rays to defend against chronic exposure to damaging infrared rays (IR) and rejuvenate photodamaged skin.
- Features breakthrough SOL-IR™ Advanced Antioxidant Complex, which blends next-generation antioxidants including Dunaliella Salina (microalgae), Polygonum Aviculae (knotgrass) and Physalis Angulata extracts with a secondary group of proven antioxidants and specialty ingredients, such as green tea leaf extract, two forms of vitamin E, niacinamide and ubiquinone along with both physical and chemical sunscreen active ingredients.
- The potent antioxidant blend also defends against environmental stressors and nourishes skin for moisture retention and rejuvenation, delivering skin’s ultimate defense against sun rays and signs of photodamage.
- Total Defense + Repair is clinically shown to protect against redness caused by UV better than competitors and improves the appearance of photodamaged skin; in just 4 weeks, it:
- Reduces the appearance of skin roughness and lines and wrinkles
- Improves skin tone, texture, and smoothness
Available in both tinted and un-tinted formulas.
Before & After from use of Total Defense + Repair below:
Shop our online store by clicking the button below:
SkinMedica® has been at the forefront of the age defense category since the launch of its groundbreaking TNS® formula over 15 years ago, developing innovative skin care treatments with specialty ingredients to advance the science of skin rejuvenation.
True to the legacy of it’s founder, Dr. Richard Fitzpatrick, the brand continues to advance the treatment of skin through its ongoing and cutting-edge research, as well as the development of breakthrough products including TNS Essential Serum®, Lytera® Skin Brightening Complex, Retinol Complex and the newest launch, Total Defense + Repair. These four products have come to represent the pillars of the brand and support the SkinMedica Difference through efficacious formulations and dramatic results, making them the cornerstone of skin rejuvenating routines for professional and patients alike.